Their seminal 1955 report entitled "Joint Study of Arterial Facilities" recommended the construction of the bridge where it stands today.
"The Narrows Bridge would connect Fort Wadsworth, Staten Island, and Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn. To cost $220,000,000, the span would comprise two decks, each of which would carry six lanes of traffic.".
And that is exactly what came to pass, though at rather higher prices than had been expected as of course is typical with such large engineering projects.
Named after named after Giovanni di Verrazano, the explorer from Italy who in 1524 was the first to map out New York Harbor the bridge design contract was handed to Othmar Ammann, one of the famed designers of bridges during that period.
In 1962 the construction of the towers began as well as the establishment of the dual anchorages, one at each side of the Narrows.
Not until the middle of 1963 were the cables spun, as is typical with such large suspension bridges it is not possible to make the cables off site but instead they are assembled, or spun, in-situ.
By October 1963 the cables were in place and the final part of the construction, the double deck, could be started. Made of pre-assembled components that are hoisted into place the double deck not only provides capacity but also rigidity to ensure that there will be no excessive movement of the bridge in the wind. This is one of the learnings from the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in 1940.
Finally by 1964 the bridge was completed when the concrete road surface was laid. And in November 1964 the bridge was open to the public.
At first only the top level was opened while the lower deck was reserved for the future, but by 1969 the bridge became so popular that this also was opened until we have the current situation with 12 lanes of traffic being in operation.